30 QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF AS WE GET SET TO CLOSE THE CURTAIN ON AN EVENTFUL 2020 (A YEAR LIKE NO OTHER ).
#2020 #selfcheck #endofyearevaluation #goalsetting #perfomancereview #2021
We have finally come to the end of 2020. A year that is certain to be the first-ballot inductee to the Year Hall of Fame. The unprecedented health crisis, world economy meltdown, political crisis, racial injustice, social issues and sporting victory that left the whole world in a finger biting moment.
A year in which we saw President Trump losing the United States election, Lewis Hamilton securing his 7th F1 title, Joan Mir and Suzuki storming the Motogp paddock by being crowned World Champion, Lebron James leading the LA Lakers to winning the NBA title to honour the late Kobe Bryant, Nigerian youths standing as one to fight for a better future, and other eventful events all through 2020 made this a year like no other.
Yet the adaptability, innovation, resilience and humanness revealed in 2020 have shown just how amazing humans really are. It is often said that cockroaches are known as the species that will survive anything, 2020 has proven that human survival skills are very well intact____Dr.W.P.Davey
PREPARING FOR 2021
Now it’s time to prepare for a great 2021. Why prepare? Because great years, like great lives, don’t just happen. We make them happen.
A key element of living a great life is self-reflection. Asking yourself good questions is like conducting your own performance review. It’s a simple way to discover where you need to course correct, where your course is already correct, and where your corset could correct.
30 QUESTIONS IN A PARTICULAR ORDER.
1. AM I EDUCATING MYSELF? Getting better starts with getting smarter. Continue to self-educate and your knowledge, abilities, and competitive advantages will grow like compound interest. We often hear people tell us no knowledge is wasted, so any book you read might just show you and teach you something new…….Never stop learning.
2. AM I EXERCISING ENOUGH? First step of looking good is feeling good. Your body is your life vehicle. Regular exercise keeps it in top shape. Which will allow you to travel further, faster and over rougher terrain……..Workout.
3. AM I GIVING ENOUGH TO OTHERS? Late Shel Silverstein famously wrote about The Giving Tree. But there is also a magical Giving Boomerang (perhaps made of wood from the giving tree). Because when you give your time, talent and treasure to others, good things come back to you in even bigger and better ways.
Don’t just be a reciever, but a giver. Thanks to God we’re about entering a new, surprise someone/people with gifts.
4. AM I DISCIPLINED ENOUGH? Ask yourself this ; am I financially, emotionally physically, spiritually, academically, career wise, etc. Discipline is what gets the job done. If you are not doing the things you’ve committed to, or if you are not avoiding the things you should avoid, check your discipline. Remember, you only need enough to create a habit. Then the habit takes over and discipline can be deployed towards something else.
5. AM I THINKING BIG ENOUGH? The answer for 99% of us is no. Think Bigger. Think as big as you can. Think Elon Musk. Because bigger thoughts lead to bigger results. It costs the same amount to think big as it does to think small. But the return on your thinking investment is much different. You can always go bigger.
6. AM I TAKING THE ACTIONS THAT MATTER MOST? Not all actions are created equal. Remember the 80/20 rule (%20 action, %80 results). Find the small actions with the biggest rewards. There are a lot of actions that generate very little results. Simply taking the right kinds of action (interacting with the right people for example) can change your life.
7. AM I EMPATHETIC ENOUGH? Are you putting yourself in other people’s shoes?. Are you really thinking about issues from someone else’s perspective? Want to make and keep more friends? Or develop more sales? Develop your empathy.
8. AM I PROVIDING MORE VALUE THAN I AM COSTING? This is the key to becoming a highly valuable and sought after human. Always give more than you take and you will remain in control of your destiny (but be smart about it). As soon as that ratio flips you are no longer in the drivers seat. Sorry Charlie.
9. AM I GETTING BETTER OR GETTING WORSE? Check your trajectory. You are either headed up or down on every possible measure. The good news is that with all but some physical aging issues you can always improve your own angle through focused effort, commitment and mindset. Let people evaluate you on this question, because you might cheat yourself and and answer wrongly.
10. AM I STRENGTHENING MY NETWORK? Most people think far too little about the strength of their network. But take it from the mobile carriers, it is all about the strength of your network. Continue to develop and maintain meaningful relationships. Make as many genuine friendships as you can. When you do, your social, professional and political capital will continue to grow. Which opens you to more opportunities. Remember, opportunities are human things.
11. AM I VALUABLE TO KNOW? Do you add value to others? Are you kind, helpful, or inspiring? Do you offer access and connections? Are you a great listener? Really think about the value you offer others. The more value you offer, the more people will seek you out. And you want to be sought after.
12. AM I STRETCHING MYSELF? Growth occurs by stretching beyond your previous abilities. By stretching you expand your horizon and strengthen your broadband. If you are not stretching you are prone to atrophy and shrinkage. Nobody wants shrinkage.
13. AM I SURPRISING PEOPLE? This can come in two different patterns, surprising positively or negatively (in this case am talking about the positives) Are you simply doing the things others come to expect of you? Or are you surprising them with new abilities and ambitions? Have you become predictable? Or are you endlessly interesting? Keep the surprises coming.
14. AM I KEEPING MY WORD? Trustworthiness is the bedrock of relationships, and the gateway to opportunity. Check your trustworthiness more often than you check on your social media notifications. Keeping your word is required on a daily basis. Like flossing and changing your undies.
15. AM I LIVING INTO MY VISION FOR MYSELF? You have aspirations. But simply having aspirations is not enough. You have to get yourself to the destination. You have to become the person you imagined, dreamt if becoming. Do the doing, not just the dreaming.
16. AM I NOTICING THOSE WHO NEED ME? We all have people who need us. Family, friends, clients, employees, community members. Do you see them? Do you notice what they need from you? Do you notice what you have to give?…Access yourself and know where you can assist.
17. AM I TAKING CARE OF MY HEALTH? Have you seen your doctor, dentist lately? (medical practioner) Do you even have a doctor and dentist? How about a mental health specialist? A chiropractor? Take care of yourself. Because everybody needs a body. Remember you can’t be anything without good health….Go see a that doctor and take that test.
18. AM I EATING WELL? You are what you eat. Literally. Be mindful of your personal building materials. It makes a difference. Because you don’t want to look like a Cheeto in your Speedo.
So stay hygienic.
19. DO I HAVE A HEALTHY WAY TO DESTRESS? The world is an all-you-can-eat stress buffet. You need to have ways to rid yourself of the stress. Sleep, exercise and church are my go-tos. Find your ways to destress best.
20. DO I HAVE ENOUGH HUMAN INTERACTION? It is easy to become isolated from others, especially during a global pandemic. Humans are social creatures. We need a minimum of human interaction. Positive human interaction is often exactly what we need for comfort, belonging and perspective. During times of isolation, use technology to get your daily allowance of humans.
21. AM I SPENDING ENOUGH TIME IN NATURE? Spending time in nature is great for re-grounding yourself. A little quiet time with Mama Nature provides peace, perspective and tranquility you can’t get anywhere else.
22. AM I GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP? Sleep is the great reset button. It enables you to regenerate your best self. Take advantage of it. Get as much as you need, but don’t sleep away your life.
23. AM I FINDING JOY IN MY WORK? Work fills half of your waking hours. Finding joy in work is finding joy in life. If you are not finding joy it is time for a change. A new approach, a new job, or a new career should be on the table.
24. DOES MY BOSS VALUE ME? An unfair amount of your happiness is tied to your relationship with your boss. If you have a boss that values you and treats you well you have won half the battle. If not, make a change. Life is too short for bad bosses.
25. AM I LIVING A STORY WORTH READING? You only get one shot at life. Make it great. make it a story worth telling, worth hearing and worth reading. Let your life be a scripture that encourages people to lead a good life.
26. AM I POSITIVELY IMPACTING OTHERS? At the end of our days the only thing that really matters is the impact we have on others. Focus on making a positive impact and you will live a great life. Remember you might just be the mirror that a million souls are staring at.
27. AM I LAUGHING ENOUGH? This is the easiest way to measure happiness. Laughter is more valuable than money. Spend more time with the people who make you laugh. They will make you feel most alive. Smile always!!!
28. AM I MAKING OTHERS LAUGH? We are drawn to people who make us laugh. Are you able to see the humor in life and share it with others? A humorous perspective is always a valuable resource. Especially during difficult TIMES. Force a smile from someones face today.
29. AM I INVESTING ENOUGH IN MY MOST IMPORTANT RELATIONSHIP? Think of the one relationship that means more to you than any other. A spouse or significant other. A parent, child or sibling. A friend, partner or neighbour. Are you investing in that person as much as you should? Always give the most important people the most.
30. WHO AM I? After asking yourself all this question and also giving a very honest and practical answers it will open a whole new view of who you are, where you are, where your going to and where you’ll be.
31. AM I GIVING MORE THAN PEOPLE EXPECT? When you offer up 30 questions do you actually give 31? It’s not that hard to do. Overdeliver. People remember.
Don’t forget that you might have more than my 30/31 questions, why not ask yourself those nail biting questions that will improve you drastically as you exit 2020 and march towards 2021
Self improvement starts with asking yourself good questions. You are a work in progress. Knowing what you should work on is how you make the progress.
*If you know someone who would benefit from these questions, please share this with them.
Happy year ending, and a glorious happy New Year in advance!!
2020 was good, but 2021 Is going to be great! No Question.
Talk to us personal via our IG @greencirclecolumn
Or send us an e-mail on email@example.com